Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) involves the use of several techniques to evaluate the properties of a component or material without causing any destruction or damage to it. Non-destructive testing techniques can be used in many industries such as Nuclear, Power, Energy, Aerospace, Oil & Gas and Transport, offering limitless job opportunities.
A career in non-destructive testing & evaluation is extremely dynamic hence up-to-date training is critical to avoid any errors. Here are three reasons why you should consider a career in NDT.
1. Ability to Make Crucial Decisions
Qualifying to work as an NDT operator empowers you to make extremely important decisions regarding the overall integrity of a material or component. A Non-Destructive Testing qualification offers you the opportunity to become your own boss or play a key role in an NDT company.
2. An Opportunity to Make a Difference
NDT has experienced several advances over the past century with new testing methods being introduced while old ones are continually improved the main aim is to test and evaluate materials or components without causing any destruction or damage to them. For instance, as an NDT operator, you are in charge of ensuring the safety of aircraft passengers by continuously inspecting aircraft components with NDT to ensure that a plane is fit to fly.
3. Possibility to Start Your Own Career
You will have the possibility to start your own NDT career at any stage of your life. A career in NDT is entirely based on your qualifications, certification as well as experience hence you will be able to progress further as you gain more experience. Once certified to inspect in any NDT level, you will be exposed to many opportunities where you can gain a wealth of knowledge and experience.
NDT Certification Levels
An individual can be certified to three main levels as follows:
NDT – Level 1
Anyone certified to this level can perform the following functions:
- Can setup an NDT equipment
- Can perform tests, record as well as classify results
- Can report the final results
NDT – Level 2
An individual certified to this level can perform the following functions:
- Can select an appropriate NDT test method technique to be used
- Can define any limitations of the application of a test method technique
- Can verify and set up equipment
- Can supervise as well as perform tests
- Can report the final results of the Non-Destructive test
NDT – Level 3
Anyone certified to this level can perform the following duties:
- Can be in charge of an NDT facility
- Can validate NDT procedures and instructions
- Can interpret procedures, specifications, codes, and standards
- Can guide other NDT personnel and operators at all levels
A career in non-destructive testing & evaluation should never stagnate since it offers you the opportunity to diversify into different disciplines. You can also specialize in one specific method as you advance to a different level of competence.